Facts About India
- The world’s seventh largest country in terms of area is India.
- India has never invaded any country in its previous 100000 years of history.
- Harappan culture was established in Sindhu Valley (popularly known as the Indus Valley Civilization) when most of the cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago. Moreover, the word ‘India’ has been derived from the Indus River also called as the Sindhu river by the Aryans.
- The land of the Hindus, the name `Hindustan’ as India is called comes from the two words ‘Sindhu’ and ‘Hindu’.
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus studies had originated in India. Greeks and Romans used the largest numbers as big as 106 whereas during Vedic times, Hindus used big numbers such as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. In today’s times, the largest used number is Terra: 10*12(10 to the power of 12).
- The ‘Decimal System’ and the ‘Place Value System’ were firstly developed in India in 100 B.C. The number system was invented in India and Aryabhatta invented the digit zero. The 0’s and 1’s on which the computer system is based was given by India to the world.
- The world’s first granite temple is the Brihadeswara Temple at Tanjavur, Tamil Nadu. It was built in the record time of just five years between 1004 AD and 1009 AD during the reign of Rajaraja Chola.
- The largest democracy in the world is India and its one of the most ancient civilizations.
- The game of Snakes & Ladders originally named as ‘Mokshapat’ was invented by poet saint Gyandev during 13th century. The game’s message was “good deeds take people to heaven and evil deeds to a cycle of re-births”.
- Chess, the mind game was invented in India.
- The world’s highest cricket ground built in 1893 on a hilltop is Chail in Himachal Pradesh, about 2444 meters above sea level.
- The largest number of Post Offices in the world, you have guessed correctly is in India.
- The majestic carrier, Indian Railways is the largest employer in the world with an employee of over a million people.
- World’s first university was born in Takshila and more than 10,000 students from the whole world were taught more than 60 subjects. One of the great achievements India achieved in the education field during the 4th century was the building of the Nalanda University.
- Ayurveda is one of the earliest schools of medicine and it had been invented, practiced in India since 2500 years ago. Charaka is known as the Father of Medicine and Ayurveda.
- India was one of the richest countries till Britishers came to rule in the seventeenth Century. Christopher Columbus came attracted towards India’s wealth and searched for a sea route to India and discovered America by mistake.
- Navigation was invented in Sindhu river around 6000 years ago in India and the words Navigation and Navy were taken out from the Sanskrit words ‘NAVGATIH’ and ‘Nou’.
- 365.258756484 days was rightly calculated as the time taken by the planet earth to orbit the Sun by Bhaskaracharya hundreds of years before the famous astronomer Smart.
- Budhayana, the Indian Mathematician founded the “pi’s” value in the 6th century and he was the one who explained all about Pythagorean Theorem before actually the European mathematicians.
- Gemological Institute of America wrote in its study that until 1896, the only country where diamonds were found was India.
- The Indian Army in 1982 built the highest bridge in the whole world known as the Baily Bridge located in the valley of Ladakh between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayas.
- Do you know who is the Father of Surgery, none other than Sushruta. He conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, fractures, artificial limbs, urinary stones, cesareans, plastic surgery and brain surgeries over 2600 years ago.
- India had the knowledge of usage of anatomy, embryology, digestion, anaesthesia, metabolism, physiology and immunity, etiology and genetics and the proof can be found in many ancient Indian texts.
- Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism are the religions born in India followed by approximately 25% people globally.
- Second largest religion in the world is also the India’s second, Islam religion.
- There are 300,000 mosques in India, being more than Arab countries.
- European church and synagogue, the oldest built in 1503 and 1568 respectively are located in Cochin in India.
- The Hindu Temple, Angkor Wat, is the largest religious building the world over built at the end of the eleventh century in Cambodia.
- The world famous Vishnu Temple in Tirupathi is amazingly the world’s largest religious pilgrimage spot built in the tenth century. Seems larger than either Mecca or Rome, around 30,000 visitors donate US$6 million to the great temple everyday.
- The religion of Sikhism was founded in Amritsar in Punjab. The world famous and holy worship place of Sikh people “Golden Temple” is also located in this city.
- Benaras or Varanasi, was known as “the Ancient City” when Lord Buddha came and visited it in 500 B.C. Varanasi is one of the oldest and continuous inhabited city the world over.
- India provided shelter to more than 300,000 refugees who flew from the countries of Sri Lanka, Tibet, Bhutan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh escaped to flee religious and political persecution. His holiness “Dalai Lama”, the Tibetan Buddhists exiled spiritual leader is a famous example.
- Martial Arts was firstly founded in India and then it was spread by Buddhist people and missionaries to the whole of Asia.
- Yoga originated in India and has existed since over 5,000 years in the country.
- The Sanskrit language, no doubt was founded in India and it is regarded as most precise and the mother language to all higher languages and therefore a language suitable for software used in the computers as confirmed by a report in Forbes magazine in July 1987.
- India’s first six Mogul Emperor’s ruled in a continuous and uninterrupted succession going from father and son for two hundred years long, from 1526 to 1707.
- India location is in south Asia, between China, Nepal and Pakistan bordered by the majestic Himalayas, world’s highest mountain chain, in the north.
- Mostly an agricultural based country, India has a large iron and steel industry producing a variety of manufactured goods.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for the purposes of irrigation was built in Saurashtra in Gujarat.
- Interesting to know, India is among a few countries, who gained independence without the violence.
- The second largest nation where talented Engineers and Scientists can be found is India.
- Though there are many English speaking nations, India is the largest English speaking nation in the whole world.
- After US and Japan, India is the only country which had built a super computer indigenously.