Scientific Name of Kashmiri Stag
Cervus elaphus hanglu
Features and Facts of Kashmiri Stag
- Body color is brown
- Can be found singly or in groups
- Feed on grasses, plants, leaves, etc.
- Only survivor of the Red Deer family
- Habitat ranges from valleys and mountains to forests
- Often poached for their magnificent antler heads
Kashmiri Stag Conservation
Human interference is continuously destroying the natural habitat of Kashmiri Stag. A mere population of 190 is battling for survival in Dachigam National Park under the constant efforts by Indian Government to save these endangered species from extinction. Breeding them in captivity is their only chance of survival. Joint conservation efforts have been taken by IUCN and Jammu and Kashmir Government.